Pages

Friday 15 June 2012

Combination Post: Workload Wednesday & Photo Friday


So, this is a combination post because I am all over the place at the moment and my workload is photography related. I am currently still editing the wedding images around moving back to my home town post-university and visiting my now-long-distance boyfriend. As such, I may not be posting next week due to the aforementioned visiting. Many apologies.

So (hello, repetitive paragraph starter), on Wednesday, I packed up all of my belongings ready to go home the next day. I realised I had both more and less things than I originally thought. It was a strange sensation; I’ve seen all of my things packed up in that way before when going to and from University before but seeing them there for the last time, in that city for the last time, was odd.

Of all of the three houses I lived in during my time at University, the last one is perhaps the one that holds the most significance, as the year held the most significance to my degree. In that house, I met my boyfriend, I applied to my MA, I got my internship for the summer. My future began in that house.

When I began my BA, I had no idea what I wanted in life. I wanted to write, obviously; you don’t do a degree in Creative Writing if you don’t want to write. However, I knew that only the very lucky get to live off of their writing. Now that I’ve finished, I know almost exactly where my life is going and how it’s going to get there. It’s both exciting and terrifying.

University is almost like a rebirth. Almost.

I have changed a lot over my three years, matured, emerged from my ‘shell’, but I have always been true to myself and that’s something I think is very important.

In other entries I might write more about the course itself and what I learned from it but right now, I think I’m slightly overwhelmed by the fact that it is over. I am not sure it has sunk in that I won’t live in Chester again; in September I won’t be moving back to complete another year. In September, I will be at Oxford Brookes.

I have no doubt that my next University experience will be vastly different to my last. The campuses are different: one looks old, one looks new; one is smaller, one is bigger; one was easy to navigate from the start, the other looks terrifying. This course only lasts for a year, my BA was three. The subject matter is different but still related.

I am so excited. I cannot wait for my future. But, I am still sad that this chapter of my life-book has come to an end.

With that in mind, the Photo Friday portion of this post is going to contain only photos. Photos of the most beautiful day that I have ever experienced. If you are interested in learning more about that day, I have included a write up of it (from my old blog) under a jump break.

Goodbye, Chester.





 
















For more see Facebook.

For the original blog entry: 
20/01/2011

Today is beautiful. It's not the conventional sunny, blue-skied day, it's really foggy/misty and it's near impossible to even see the end of the street. I couldn't miss out on the opportunity to do outdoor shots for my 365 project today even though it was bitterly cold. It's made me realise how much this project means to me and how wonderful it is to do, I would never have seen or heard or experienced this day quite like I did if not for this project.

The day started with a seminar, which was interesting in the Lewis Carroll/Alice/Angela Carter/John Dee/Edward Kelley section but the workshopping bit wasn't so good – the exercise wasn't really what I'm into, I don't think anyone else was particularly either, oh well. I will definitely be researching John Dee and Edward Kelley, they seem fascinating. I'd heard of them before but I couldn't remember why. I also need to watch Jan Svankmayer's Alice, if I can, and read the rest of the Carter story. I'm enthused.

After the seminar, I wandered through the mists into Chester city centre to pay my rent and see what I could photograph. I knew I wanted misty photos but I wasn't sure where I wanted them to be, so trudged off to Starbucks for a hot chocolate (which I, of course, took a photo of) and a wrap – Chicken Salsa or something like that. In Starbucks was a wonder of wonders: there was a man with the most epic beard I have ever seen, he was like one massive beard with a person hanging off of it. The beard was its own entity; he was just some strange growth on the end. He looked like he'd stepped out of a fantasy novel and I wish I could've taken a photo; there was no way I could be sly enough though and I couldn't bring myself to go and ask just in case his voice didn't sound as I imagined it to. I've noticed that when you sit or walk anywhere with an SLR and don't look like a tourist (I was wearing my University hoodie so definitely looked like a student) people look at you with so much suspicion it's like they assume you're following them around and taking photos of them. I am not a personal investigator, though that could be quite fun. It's quite amusing to see how guilty people can look too, sometimes you can tell when one of these suspicious people has something to hide – I have no idea what but I like to let my imagination runaway with itself.

Where was I? Starbucks. Right. While in Starbucks, whining in my head about the lack of signal I get when I'm sat in there, it occurred to me that the river might be a good place to take a few photos. Off I went, taking photos as I went of whatever looked pleasing. The walk was nice, slow and I paused every so often just to take in my surroundings, I was seriously entranced by the way the world looked today, I still am. Then I got to the river. There are no words. I have never seen anything like it in my life. I've seen the river before, of course, but not like this. It was almost completely deserted. Every time I've been there it's been packed with tourists and dog-walkers, normal walkers, teenagers, elderly couples out for a stroll; it's generally hard to get a bench to sit on.

As I came out of the small winding road that leads down to it I walked past Hickory's(?), which is an American steak bar or something, they play a recorded voice to get people to come in and sample their meals and it echoed everywhere. It was really eerie, like being in a tense scene in a film when you know something is going to jump out at you and scare you. Luckily nothing did.

All the noise from the Hickory thing seemed to just drift off as I neared the water's edge. All I could hear down there was the birds and the occasional soft lapping of water. I could barely see over to the other bank and the sun was just a faint white disc through the fog. The ferry that does river cruises was just sat in the middle of the water, I don't think anyone was on it (it didn't move at all) and it left me wondering how they were going to get to it afterwards. The Queen's Park Bridge was coming faintly out of the mist and the bandstand loomed almost ominously. Everything seemed colourless.

Everything was very still too. There was no wind. It really felt like I'd stepped into a different world, a world from a book for example. I'm pretty sure the memory of today will stay with me forever. If it doesn't I have over 100 photos to remind myself.

On a less pretty note, I almost got eaten by a pair of swans. I was taking photos of them and I think I got a bit too close. They started hissing at me and making really weird noises. Speaking of noises, I now know what noise a squirrel makes – I never knew until today. I spent 15 minutes chasing uncooperative squirrels. Whenever I got close enough for a good photo they'd dart off before the photo took, or during, so all I got were squirrel smudges.

By the time I finally decided to go home there was a band type thing playing in the street, they made my day even better, so, of course, I took photos. They seemed so happy and it made me wish I a)knew how to dance properly and b)had a partner to dance with. It would have been fun.

So, yes. That was my day. It was lovely. Hence the detailed blog entry. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment